Monday, December 1, 2008

Pies, Family, Farm and THE Prize!

**Warning! This post contains death and carnage! Look away, children and the faint of heart!**
Part 1: It started with Pie Breakfast. I hope we made the Andersons proud! We ended up with 14 pies. I tried pumpkin pie for the first time this year. I thought it was time, since I love pumpkin so much but shy away from pumpkin pie. I think it is a texture thing! Anyway, it turns out that my friend Marcia makes a killer pumpkin chiffon pie-it is as light as air! I learned I do like pumpkin pie! I think the apple cranberry pie was the favorite of the day, but I don't know why. I never tasted it!
My Mom and Darren helped me make the pies, otherwise it wouldn't have happened. Three little distractors, you know. My sister-in-law took the kids for half of the day on the day of the "pie making." That helped a TON! Overall, it was alot more fun than I thought it would be and the kids loved it!


Part 2: Thanksgiving lunch at my parent's house. Thanks, Mom! I really feel that you shouldn't have to cook when someone near and dear to you can do a better job of it! We forgot our camera, so no cute Thanksgiving pictures of the kids this year. They did look cute, though!

Part 3: We all went to the farm at the end of the day and spent the night. Tons of playtime with the cousins. It is so great to live close to them again! There wasn't alot of sleeping going on that night, but it sure was fun! Since Canton is a mere 20 minutes away, me, my Mom, and sister-in-law had to go the next day and had a blast! If there is anyone to shop Canton with, it is definitely my Mom. She is an expert on anything you could possibly find there!

Part 4: My brother took Darren and Max hunting over the weekend. This was a HUGE deal for Max, as he is obsessed with hunting but has never been! He shot his first doe. I am having to learn to deal with this "killing animals for fun," so I won't take this opportunity to voice all of my opposing arguments against hunting, especially for children. Because Max was so proud of himself, I was so proud! I screamed and jumped in the Sam's parking lot when he called me! It was a weekend that Max will never forget, full of man-cooking, new friends, lots of Coke, and guy time. Best of all, he spent the whole 2 days "camo-ed up." He looked older to me when he got home! We loved being in Texas for Thanksgiving this year!

1 comment:

Liz said...

You know, I grew up with a hunting daddy, so I was never really introduced to the idea that hunting was bad. As an adult, I heard people say that for the first time & was surprised. I didn't "get" that some people actually hunt for SPORT & not for FOOD. And ya know, I'm with ya...if you're just killing an animal for the heck of it, I'm opposed to that. But if you're killing an animal for food, I'm OK with it. The whole circle of life thing, I guess. :)

On that note, Larry took this week off work to deer hunt. And I will be tickled when he gets one. It saves us a TON of money to have deer in the freezer for the majority of the year. :) Hope you guys enjoy that doe when you eat it. :)