Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Another Puzzle Piece

Last night I went to Bible Study, where we have been doing Beth Moore's study on Daniel. I LOVE the prophecy and history of Daniel! God impressed upon my heart that to know Him is to fear Him. The more I seek to know Him (and He promises to be found when we seek him wholeheartedly), the more in awe I will be of who He is. I also found tons of verses linking fear to obedience. This is a part of what I was reading this morning...

Religious Fear is the human response to the presence of God.

Fear of God-A prominent element in Old Testament religion is the concept of the fear of God. Most often the sense of fear comes as individuals encounter the divine in the context of revelation. When God appears to a person, the person experiences the reality of God’s holiness. This self-disclosure of God points to the vast distinction between humans and God, to the mysterious characteristic of God that at the same time attracts and repels. There is a mystery in divine holiness that causes individuals to become overwhelmed with a sense of awe and fear. They respond by falling down or kneeling in reverence and worship, confessing sin, and seeking God’s will (Isaiah 6).

The fear of God is not to be understood as the dread that comes out of fear of punishment, but as the reverential regard and the awe that comes out of recognition and submission to the divine. It is the revelation of God’s will to which the believer submits in obedience.
Holman Bible Dictionary

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty."
Psalm 91 verse 1

And so, the simplicity of abiding in Him, dwelling in His shelter, seeking Him. The rest will follow.

2 comments:

Fun With Five said...

What a good Word! Thanks for sharing. I love when you share your insight on things. :) Excited to have you back in the states soon. :)
(3908 is the address of our house)

Unknown said...

our pastor spoke on this a few weeks ago and i needed it. i struggle with letting satan put the "what if's" in me. i know that the fear of the "what if's" is from satan and that i should only fear the Lord, reverently. thanks for being transparent!